Things I have learned from... Harry Potter


One afternoon, J. K. Rowling sat on a coffee house and allowed her hands to dance above the keys of her typewriter.* She had an idea in her head, a premise that would bring every generation and every skeptical mind together. A story about a little boy that thought he was alone in the World. A story about courage, about friendship, about loyalty. A story about love. A story about not giving up. A story about hope. For over ten years, she allowed her imagination to wander and her fingers to create one of the most beautiful songs a generation has ever heard.


Harry Potter is a story that does not age. If you are part of the Harry Potter generation, like me, then you probably get too passionate whilst talking about it and if there is something you know about your future is that you want to introduce this piece of art to your own future generations (if they don't like Harry Potter, they will live under the cupboard under the stairs).
Opening a Harry Potter book is opening a book to a completely different World. If there is one constant thing about every Harry Potter book is that you were taught a lesson in every single book. Whether it was a lesson about the importance of loyalty or the hope that you can conquer your biggest fears, the Harry Potter book series has helped shape us into the humans we are today.

With this premise in mind, I have tried to write down some of the many lessons I learned from reading Harry Potter. And I believed in magic even more after each book. 

  • Home is where you feel happy / yourself / safe / loved.
  • Love is the biggest strength in the World.
  • All forms of loyalty are important.
  • Don't judge people by their looks nor history. Our choices show who we truly are, far more than our abilities or talents. What matters is not what someone is born as, but what they grow up to be.
  • Your scars held a story and make you who you are. Don't be ashamed of them.
  • "Happiness can be found in the darkest times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."
  • Those you love will always be with you and will never truly leave you. They live in you.
  • Believing in yourself is more important than luck or talent.
  • You have a choice to be the better and bigger person in every situation.
  • Freedom is a gift.
  • Don't let your fears consume you.
  • Always fight for the good.

What are some of the lessons Harry Potter has taught you?

Love, love, love. x

* This is the scenario in my head. I could write a whole novel from it.

10 comments

  1. "Happiness can be found in the darkest times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." is one of my favourite quotes in the world. This is such a unique post - I loved it! Harry Potter is a beautiful story for all of those reasoners.

    Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving Harry Potter is that one thing that you are proud of yourself for doing! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank youuuuuuuuuuu for reading and commenting on it, thank you!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank youuuuu! It means a lot to me that you say that! :)
    Harry Potter is such an amazing World and it has taught us a lot of things. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kori, this is beautiful. I love Harry Potter, too. I literally grew up with it! There are just so many things in every book that everyone can learn and relate to! And yes, I want my kids in the future will grow up with this series like I did. Ah, this post makes me want to read and watch Harry Potter again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really glad you liked it, thank you for reading and comment on it. Harry Potter is such a beautiful story, we all should read it again and again. :) There's never too many times!
    Much love xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bloody love this! I always use harry potter quotes in every day situations and people think it's lame but at least i know someone else has been influenced by the story! :) Ashleigh xo www.beingashleigh.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely understand you Ashllyd! I am like that and I still find it weird if people don't know what I am talking about! :o
    We are not alone, proud Potterheads! :D
    Much love xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fiquei com arrepios e lágrimas nos olhos de ler isto... :')

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaww, Harry Potter faz-nos sentir assim, no bom sentido. :)

    ReplyDelete